Monday, January 28, 2013

Tag on Placement Quirk

My friend Tom wrote to me the other day asking if he was crazy or if I could confirm that Revit 2013 has a quirk when placing a light fixture in a ceiling plan. Well he isn't crazy, at least not about that. It isn't just for light fixtures either, seems to be for any component. When placing a component in a floor plan view you get this ribbon configuration, or close to it.


When in a ceiling plan you get this version...sans "Tag on Placement".


Seems unfair to me. There was a recent Hotfix posted for Revit 2013 but it does not appear to address this issue. I demand equal opportunity for Tag on Placement!

3 comments:

Tom D. said...

I'm not crazy....my mother had me tested...

AndrewB said...

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for an answer to this exact issue, and this was the most recent thread with the specific question regarding "tag on placement" for light fixtures on the RCP that I found. There might be others but I am done searching...see below for why!



So after searching for way too long, and finding that many folks have noticed this issue, and seeing the "tag on placement" button is still not present in Revit 2018 (are you listening Autodesk)..I stumbled on a solution. 



If you pick the "tag by category" button before you select a light fixture, then pick the light fixture, it will insert with the tag! You can select the light fixture from the "System" menu, from a button in the Quick-Menu, or drag it from the Project Browser. In all cases the tag pastes with the light fixture! 



I think I will go have myself a cold adult beverage....

AndrewB said...

Disregard my previous comment. It only works in Plan views, which already have the "tag on placement" feature...