Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dept. of Reviteristics - Edit Button

This is specifically leveled at the new EDIT button that appears when you are working in the family editor and using the sweep & swept blend solids and voids.

I'm referring to this Options Bar arrangement including the Edit button.


In the past releases a sweep only required you to click Sketch Profile and sketch it. Now there is an extra button, the EDIT button to get to sketch. This one:


If you weren't aware of it, you can click to select the profile origin to get access to the Edit button on the Options Bar to start sketching the profile though.


This allows you to ignore the issue of which one is Profile 1 and Profile 2 if you can't remember which way you sketched the path in the first place. It seems likely that the Sweep inherits this functionality because of the swept blend, not because it really needed the extra click.

If we were to plan well we'd make all our profiles first and then just choose to load and apply these profiles instead of clicking the Edit button. But we know how many well laid plans end up. I could do without an extra click, the goal after all is reducing the "clicks". Happy to have the Swept Blend and will endure the extra click.

1 comment:

Jake Boen said...

If I'm reading this correctly, this is what I was missing the other day! I couldn't figgure out how to get into the sketch mode to to draw my profile on the fly. I know I've done this hundreds of times but I couldn't figgure it out. Thanks!